• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

[Aug 20, 2012] NMCA WEST COAST SHOOTOUT (Pomona, CA)

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Bad day for me.. :( wheel hop to die for... best 60 foot 2.1 :(

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Micah....glad to see you made it home safe.

Dave and I just missed winning our classes. Dave was. 004 too fast on his 3 runs average for the 14 seconds class.
I was .014 too fast for the 13 seconds class.

2K7GTCS

Fun fun fun! So much fun.
We had a great time at the track today. It was hotter than Hades but things ran pretty smoothly.

We had no opportunity to practice, so after a brief meeting it was out on a 30 mile drive, straight to the staging lanes, and then three passes back to back to back. Interesting format, as quite a few of the 53 registrants were unable to finish all three passes. Mustangs were out in force for this event, as 12+ of 53 cars were 'Stangs, and three of the class winners "Did it in a Mustang".

Tomorrow we will be participating in the Brackets, and every pass down this historic pro track is pure joy. Oh, and my RT on the Pro .400 tree? .104 .138 .210 Not bad for my first time...

A few pictures from the track, and a list of all the participants in order by average time. Yes, I missed taking the 14 second class by being .004 seconds average too quick. Slow for the win LOL!

WS_Pomona01.JPGWS_Pomona02.JPGWS_Pomona03.JPGWS_Pomona04.JPGWS_Pomona05.JPGWS_Pomona06.JPGWS_Pomona07.JPGWS_Pomona08.JPG
TSresults-2.jpg

Ford1288

Donator
How do you guys want the videos? Can't post em with tapatalk and they are on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
How do you guys want the videos? Can't post em with tapatalk and they are on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uploaded to youtube its free.. Just put Wicked Stangs in the Title and they will automatically show up in our video files...

2K7GTCS

Thanks for the videos, they're a great reminder of how fun it was to run up there this weekend.

As for the Brackets on Sunday...

First of all, the track was shortened to 1/8th mile, due to fire damage from the day before. This was a group of about 40 cars that came from three different classes. So basically it was a shootout for folks who were eliminated from the other series or programs during the weekend’s events. In other words, cars that ran the spectrum from street cars running 9's to full tube frames running high 6's.

Cut to the chase, I red-lighted in the 2nd round and was eliminated, but OMG this was a blast.

Dennis left on Saturday to go tend to his dogs, who apparently were running wild in the streets of Victorville.
Emilio and family left early Sunday morning to head back to San Diego, so they never made it back to the track.
Danny was going to leave too, but decided to come check it out for a while. Then he was prepped and ready to go run his car too. But then the day wore on, and he finally decided to just pack it in and head home. Just as he finished packing the car, they called us to the lanes. It was 2pm. We had been there since 9am.

Saturday's True Street competition had used a .400 Pro Tree, but for the Brackets on Sunday, it was Sportsman.
A lot of folks were breaking out, and it seemed a little cooler, so with no opportunity to practice, I took a wild guess and set my dial-in as 1 tenth quicker than my best pass the day before.
I ran a 8.65 on an 8.58 dial-in, and the Pontiac G8 I was racing against broke out by a full 2 tenths.

Winning this round was so satisfying. The car ran perfect, and I was definitely in my comfort zone running 1/8th mile on a Sportsman tree. Amazing.

Unlike the day before, I was able to let the car cool in the pits between rounds. As I considered how to adjust my dial-in for the 2nd round, I guessed the car could run a little better on the second pass based on the previous days performance. So I set the dial-in to 8.63, and waited for the call back to the lanes.

We were called back to the lanes around 3:30. This time I ran against a beautiful two-tone Chevy II Nova who was dialed-in at 7.06, which meant I would get a pretty good head start. I blew the start though, and handed him the win at the line with a red light -.186 as I got a anxious and left a little too soon.

Oh, so I ran an 8.634 on an 8.63 dial-in, and would have totally taken the win, except for two things. Obviously I red-lighted, but also, I noticed today when reviewing the time slip that they read my dial-in wrong, and had me set at 8.53! So I would have lost either way because I did not look at the numbers on the board before I made my pass, and the Chevy ran a really good time (.07 over dial-in).

Lots of information from this event. I still have a lot to learn, and could definitely use more practice. But the best part was I did not embarrass myself (too badly) on the big stage, and I have 5 time slip’s from one of the most famous Drag Racing venues in the history of the sport.

LOL, I still have all the stickers on my car, cause I’m goofy like that…