• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

engine build questions

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
okay, so i started this thread because i am gonn ahve a lot of questions about building an engine if i do infact decide to go that route.

first question: ive been doing research online and i wanted to know the difference between a hydraulic cam and a solid cam. the higher hp engines have solid cams, but is that more for a race application, or is it usible on the street as well. i am looking at a 331 crate motor thats got 450hp and 400tq for $6900. seems like good numbers.

once again, this is not a final decision for my car, just doing research

90stripes

well bj. the problem is the motor is not big enough. you need some real ci.'s like a 408 or 427.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
can you say BOOST!!!

why do you think a mod 4.6 (281ci) cobra won the dyno shootout agains a 502ci BBC?

BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
im looking for something daily drivable with reasonable gas mileage. i keep out of boost with a turbo and the car will be mellow and get decent mileage, unlike a cammed carb stroker like you want

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
The hydraulic is better for daily use and longevity. The solid roller cams have to constantly be adjusted for wear. There is a break in on the solid that if not done right can flatten the cam right off the bat and then your assed out. They are also harder on the valve train. Stick with the hydraulic roller. Especially for the street.

W

wickedstangs

nice job bob beat me again.. Going to have to change your title..:) Head Mechanix.. or something.. Good info..

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
another question....what gear should i go with in the rear end. 4.10's i think would be too much for the power. and i want a 6spd. would 3.73's be best or lower 3.55?

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Leave the 4.10's if you are going to have a 6 speed. Plus if you have forged internals and a stout block you can rev it up higher by getting a custom designed cam and good valve springs.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
beejay31000 said:
you think? wont i go through gears too fast? i already fly through first and second with only 250hp.

Because you shift / make max power @ 5500 RPM. With the new combo YOU can determine your new shift points.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Get a custom cam and let them (flow tech induction or camshaft innovations) know what you want to shift at and they will make it happen.

M

Mustangcwo

BeeJay, 4.10 are the way go unless you're going to spend a lot of time on the freeway. I'm loading 3.73 gears into mine, only because I have to drive it to work a couple of times a week and it's all freeway.

Foxman

4:10's is the way to go... if you start running out of mph run taller tires...

from what it looks like is you would probably benifit running smaller tires now... like a 26" not 28"

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
so, i just called GRC performance and am waiting on a basic quote. what they recomended is a built 347 with an s-trim. they said it would easily amke 500rwhp, but be quiet and drivable and reliable. we also talked about a t56 conversion kit. apparantly they build a lot of fox's like this and are really experianced with it. we'll see what he says.

CWO, it will be a daily driver and see the highway a lot, thats why i was thinking 3.73's. if i were to drag race it 11's would be plenty fast and i think that is possible with 3.73's and 500hp. what about 3.90's??

i will wait and see what they say about price and think about it some more.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
orange395w said:
Get a custom cam and let them (flow tech induction or camshaft innovations) know what you want to shift at and they will make it happen.

i think the cam will be custom to the engine thats built for me.