• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

engine build questions

maverick169v

WS Posting God
alirght man, then do it. im just saying. my car makes 375rwhp and it isnt practical to drive every day. to and from work was about 150 bucks a week. i bought a bike and its 20 now.

90stripes

i have been told that a 347 is not a way to go for reliability especialy 363. and you have to remember that there is less that can break in a 302 or a 351 than there is in a modular motor. the pushrod motors uses minimal moving parts. 331 is the biggest i would go.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
thats what i thought, remember, thats why i wanted a 331, but i have contacted several engine builders that say that with technoligy now the 347 is jsut as strong as the 331. the cylinder scraping is minimal, and the lubrication problems they used to have has been fixed. there is virtually no difference. and the block only has to handle 600hp at most, which shouldnt be hard on it at all.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
not a clue. whatever is the most recomended by people with a lot more knowledge than me. im also looking into that total performance place that bobby took you too. might have them build it. who knows. the other place i like that sounded really god was GRC performance in long beach. they had good reviews and sounded knowledgable.

90stripes

yea i liked total performance. he really sounded like he knew what he was doing. and as soon as i talked to him i trusted him to build my motor. and bobby said he has not had one issue with his motor since it has been built. so that right there says alot about there ability and talent.

DSGimportslayer

DSG in the hisouse!
Staff member
sorry about the confusion. the boss 302 block is more than capable of handleing your power needs and reliability. the boss 302 block can be bored to a 363. and its only 16-1700 bucks. 4 bolt mains, and splayed caps. if you wanna keep the push rod thats the way i would go.

DSGimportslayer

DSG in the hisouse!
Staff member
coated forged pistons, forged rods, and a steel crank. i would go forged everything espeasially if you want the longetivity and reliability of the motor.

90stripes

i agree. but a 302 block .040 over isnt going to make it a 363. the stroke is what makes ci's. what is the stroke? 4"?

DSGimportslayer

DSG in the hisouse!
Staff member
CHECK THIS OUT

The Boss 302 is cast from heat-treated, diesel-grade nodular iron with a tensile strength of 41,000 psi-strong stuff. The three center main bearing journals have four-bolt splayed iron caps with 1/2 inch inner and 3/8 inch outer bolts. Like its famous namesake, the block has screw-in oil galley and freeze plugs to increase the casting rigidity, but with modern O-ring seals to prevent leaks. These features make the new Boss block plenty strong for nitrous and forced induction applications, yet it is 16 pounds lighter than the R302 block it replaces.

Bigger
The Boss 302 block is capable of supporting 363 cubic inches with a bore and stroke job (4.125 inch bore, 3.400 inch crank). Ford Racing engineered extra clearance into the casting for stroker combinations-the block has ample room for crankshaft counterweights, and the cylinders are .004 inch shorter than stock to eliminate the notching you normally need to do to clear the connecting rod bolts.

Reliable
Ford Racing built extra reliability into the Boss 302 block. The rear main seal is one-piece to prevent oil leaks. The block feeds oil to both the front and rear of the lifter galleys to ensure adequate oiling of all lifters. The deck is drilled for 1/2 inch diameter cylinder head bolts (OEM head bolts are 7/16 inch); the holes are extra-deep for better gasket retention and bolt clamping force. On the advice of the NASCAR boys, Ford Racing added crossover coolant holes between the siamesed cylinder bores to help remove trapped steam. Between the coolant crossover and the bigger, deeper cylinder head bolt holes, there is no excuse for popping head gaskets with a Boss 302 block, even with large shots of nitrous or blower boost.

Other Features
The Boss 302 doesn't stop there when it comes to features. Take a look at these:
• Set up for flat tappet or roller cams
• Finish align-honed lifter bores
• Large lifter bosses can be machined for bigger or offset lifters
• Provision for block-mounted engine oil dipstick
• Can use factory Fox body Mustang oil pan with special Ford Racing oil pump pickup
• Drilled and tapped hole for clutch cross shaft used on 1960s-70s Fords with manual
transmissions

Special Considerations
Like most racing-duty engine blocks, the Boss 302 has a few quirks. Instead of factory-style stepped cam bearing bores (the bore diameters get larger as you go from the back of the block to the front), the Boss 302's cam bores are all 2.204 inches in diameter. That requires a camshaft with common-sized bearing journals. Most cam grinders can make you one of these, and Ford Racing offers the correct common OD bearings. If you want to use an off-the-shelf, OE-style cam, Ford Racing has the necessary stepped bearings for that as well.

The cylinder bores come undersized at 3.990 inches-you will need to have them finish-bored and honed to the desired size. Keep in mind that since the cylinders are shorter, you have to watch overall stroke and compression height. The longer the (piston) stroke, the farther the piston will travel down the bore. A shorter cylinder means the piston will protrude further from the bottom of the bore. That can lead to issues with increased friction, accelerated cylinder wall wear, and piston ring wear as the piston rocks in the bore.

Finally, the Boss 302's as-cast deck height is .010 inch taller than the standard 302's 8.200 inches. You will need to have a machine shop equalize and deck the block to true each bank to the proper deck height.

So, is the Boss 302 block the right foundation for your small block Ford project? If your goal is big horsepower or big cubic inches-or both-the answer is definitely yes. Whether you go naturally aspirated, nitrous-assisted, or forced induction, you owe it to yourself to meet the new Boss.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
wow, thats some good info. so the block is 16-1700 bucks, then the stroker kit, what 1500 and machining the block some more. im looking at about 4k in the shortblock....

i can get a 347 boss shortblock for 4300 from late model restoration. should i do that, or have it built custiom to my needs.
M6009Z347.JPG

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
then another 2k for heads and all the ataching parts like oil pan and gaskets, water pump, porting my intake to match the new TB and spacer.....about 7-8k

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
then3k for the t-56 kit....11-12k, then the suspension and brakes and rims and tires. another 8k, looking at about 20k total

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
planning on a budget. grrrr. 20k sounds like a lot of money, but if you think about what i want its gonna be hard to make it work. the little things like corbeau seats and gauges and body work will send me over the top!

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
I think we really need to sit down and talk. I think there comes a point when there is just too much information and too many ideas. There are alot of ways to make the power that you are looking for. It doesn't even have to have a blower to make that power. If you have a perfectly matched combo you can make ass loads of power and TQ. Just an example, I have a friend in Texas (former Wickedstangs member) who is running a 331 with AFR 185's and a ported cobra intake and makes 375HP & 420TQ. He ran a 12.1 at fun ford weekend. Spanked a few 03 cobra's in his day as well.

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
yeah but thats the fun stuff and what truely makes it stand out is the little personnal touches and hcoices

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
orange395w said:
I think we really need to sit down and talk. I think there comes a point when there is just too much information and too many ideas. There are alot of ways to make the power that you are looking for. It doesn't even have to have a blower to make that power. If you have a perfectly matched combo you can make ass loads of power and TQ. Just an example, I have a friend in Texas (former Wickedstangs member) who is running a 331 with AFR 185's and a ported cobra intake and makes 375HP & 420TQ. He ran a 12.1 at fun ford weekend. Spanked a few 03 cobra's in his day as well.

your right about choices and i really have no idea what combo i want to get me there, but on another note, how does your friends car run daily. does it have a huge cam to where i lumps everywhere? gas mileage below 10mpg? those are things i want to avoid. the thing i like about boost is it helps so much more at highway speeds and beyond yet can be virtually unused when driving to and from work