• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Engine trouble questions

xavier296

Man, you are full of it prez, but I dig it. Good luck with his car! When are we putting the clutch in?

Foxman

If he comes over I will give you guys the Prognosis and step by step on how I hooked his car up to my performance monitoring software. And what is the real problem..Mexican

thats what needs to be done... didnt know you had a engine performance diagnosis machine...

IgottaV8

Wickedstangs Road Racing Team
Staff member
Board Member
Cool, I'll be there at 5:00 PM. I bought the Spark Plugs, the Autolite 24.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
[solved]

Alright everyone this case is closed...
I gottaV8 brought his car to me and I hooked his car up to my performance monitoring software and the Prognosis are:

1. He did indeed have the wrong spark plug were replaced with Autolite 24 and gap @ at a undisclosed range..:)

2. Next we hooked up is car to the performance software and found a couple of codes:

511 - EEC processor ROM test failed
332 - Insufficient EGR flow detected
116 - ECT outside test limits during KOEO or KOER test

511 - Right off the bat I knew his car had to be chipped.

116 - Now this one I am still trying to prove myself wrong on to why/how I fixed it.:) ET at work but, really has to do with how the car was tuned.. Reminds me of how my car acts.. Well it turns out they were tuned by the same person:) His car took forever to come up to Operating tempatures and our turner loves doing that.

332 - Now this fault took us 2 days to solve and I am glad we finally solved it. He was getting Insufficient EGR flow.. Turns out his EGR Valve was bad as well as other things. All The EGR can make the car run like crap. Not enough EGR flow will cause the combustion temps get to high and cause detonation, and too much flow will cause missing, rough idle, or won't even idle. When I pulled that code 332 I decided to check all vacuum hoses running to it and found a couple of broken hoses and decided to repair them as well we did a resistance check on another sensor the EGR Valve Position Sensor that was inline to the EGR and found the resistance to be off/bad. The EVP sensor converts the mechanical movement of the pintle into an electrical voltage signal whish is relayed to the PCM. The EVP sensor is a linear potentiometer in which resistance varies with the EGR valve pintle movement. Voltage is fed to the EVp by the signal return circuit. As the EGR is opened the EVP directs more voltage to the EEC and less dow the voltage reference circuit. The EVP sensor provides the PCM with information on EGR flow and EGR system failures. The EVP should read between .24 and .67volts at idle with a closed EGR valve. Once we fixed that we were still getting an error only with the KOER test not the KOEO test. Next decided to try to clean the EGR due to built up carbon and that still did not fix it. Next was to go ahead and replace the EGR...

PICT4127.jpg

PICT4131.jpg

PICT4138.jpg

SPECIAL THANKS TO SUBZERO AKA DANNY for beening there and helping out and for ETHAN's enthusiasm to learn..

Now IgottaV8 go have fun :bo:

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
I think that I have an EGR if you need it. Bring the old one by my house and I can check to see if I have one if you didn't already replace it. Good job Mr Prez, but where did you copy and paste that explanation from? LOL

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
hey the EVP sensor is under there... Don't make yourself look bad.. Remember I taught you everything.:) now check your PM...

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
hey the EVP sensor is under there... Don't make yourself look bad.. Remember I thought you everything.:) now check your PM...

You thought me everything you know? LOL you mean taught? That's funny :) I'm talking about the kind to protect paint not the fender liner LOL. Don't make yourself look bad! Anyway PM replied.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
at least it dont have a secret sticker on it something like that.......

Gib

IgottaV8

Wickedstangs Road Racing Team
Staff member
Board Member
Thanks, but I already have a new EGR Valve. I just need to find out where the red wire goes into my instrument clust so that I can have lighting at night. And thanks Emilio for dealing with all my forgetfullness and the like.