• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

FOXMAN'S 5.0 Conversion

Foxman

FOXMAN'S 5.0 Conversion UPDATE!

well started messing with car somemore.. Cleaned up the interior to find out what i can save and what needs replacing..
100_0268.jpg

100_0269.jpg

100_0270.jpg

100_0273.jpg

100_0274.jpg

100_0275.jpg

and then i got to this point...
100_0276.jpg

I saw the tag on the rear end... so i pulled it off and found this
100_0282.jpg

Now if im reading this tag correctly... its a 7.5 rearend (which i already knew) and it has 373 gears??? didnt know that.. what im wondering is, has anyone on this forum done a 5.0 swap and left the 7.5 rear in the car for any period of time.. I think since im keeping the car auto.. and probably wont get a high stall right away... i might keep thise rearend in for a short time to see how well it will hold up.. plus with the auto i probably wont spray till the top of second through 3rd!

and plus i love to brake **** so that will be fun too..

Does anyone know what rearend came in the 4cyl Turbo SVO's????

Foxman

also this is going to be my build thread.. so drop in from time to time to see how my progress is going!

dope3

looks nice i would leave it in what the hell if you like to break s**t it should last for a while

Foxman

thats what i figure... why waste a good set of 373 gears when i can brake them LOL

Roushed2

302 Motorsports
my 82 5.0 gt came from the factory with a 7.5

you can leave it in for a while trust me

my charged v6 is running a 7.5 right now

dont trust it in tht car but it has held up very well.

Foxman

Nice to know... just saved my self about 1000 bucks on the building of one like i was going to do...

still will probably build one but not right away... not till this one is broken

Ford1288

Donator
Just fyi if I had a project like yours I would swap in a Thunderbird S/C rearend. 3.73s and disk brakes.

Foxman

yea some time down the line it will probably get a 5 lug conversion and a set of disc brakes.. and probably 4:30 if not 4:56 gears once it get a nice set of 31x10.5 slicks

xavier296

My 300+ rwhp fox had a 7.5 for most of its life. The only reason I changed it was to have the traction lock that all mustang 8.8s have. One wheel peel will be your only disadvantage. Mine was 3.73 also, must be a common 4 cylinder rear end. Just keep it and smoke that one tire!!

By the way, I put a mustang 8.8 and MM lowers for around 300 bucks. It was used, but worked great. Just got to keep your eyes open on craigslist and the forums.

Ford1288

Donator
I dont believe so but then again I could be wrong. I was told its basically a direct replacement for the fox rearend.

Foxman

ok so taer down begans!
100_0291.jpg

100_0292.jpg

I did brake two clips... it just so damn cold making the plastic britle
100_0290.jpg

100_0289.jpg

Foxman

no id anyone knows a way to take the computer out with out removing the ac box let me know... i doubt it can be done but who nows?

Oestang-2008

Computer

The ECM will come out with a few tools and a lot of back and forth wiggle.

7mm will take off the small bolt that holds it in place (might be an 8mm bit im think its a 7mm) That is under the driver side kick panel. Once you get that off!! You will move the plastic piece that holds the ECM up out of the way. There is a 10mm bolt right in the middle that holds the ECM plug on. You Loosen it (it does not come off) and the computer will seperate from the plug. Wiggle the ecm out and your done with that portion.

To get the wiring out you will need to disconnect all the plugs near the ECM. you should have 2 or 3 depending if you have power doors and windows. Then you will take the 7mm again to the ground cable under the carpet.
From under the hood you will pry the big rubber boot that holds the ecm wiring End. pull working it back and forth. You will have 3 or 4 plugs that will have to come through the firewall before the large ECM plug comes through. Its a pain but can be done with patience. Helps if you have someone helping you guide the wiring out while you pull.

Im sure I spelled some stuff wrong sorry.
Oestang

Foxman

well the ECM is on the passenger side... next to the a/c box... i have already tore the how a/c system out (besides the a/c box under the dash). so i think once i have that out of the way... it will make it alot easier... Plan to fill some holes in the engine bay and paint the hole thing black..

Just for everyone to know... everything under the hood of the 92 4cyl mustang is for sale!!

Need to get 500 bucks together to get registration worked out!

Foxman

does this car have a crank sensor... i notice that the wireing that goes to the DIS module wont come out because it goes to the trans andsome were on the front of the engine !

Foxman

harness is out... just need to get 2 more plugs off of the DIS wiring that go to trans and i believe its a the crank sensor!

Foxman

he oestang... i dont think i will need the headlight harness... i just finished taking out the engine harness and it had nothing to do with the headlight section... its still all hooked up...

Are you sure i need it.. the underdash wiring and headlights are wtill hooked up!