• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My POS...any ideas?

boostedmach

honestly what it looks like to me is a fuel problem... check your regulator and ensure the damn thing isn't stuck.

the one on my talon got stuck and gave me all sorts of hell under pressure.

38-43 is a HUGE fluctuation in psi. i mean hell 2 psi is enough to cause a lean/rich condition

+ the size of the injectors your running with that much fluctuation is only compounding the problem.

IMO check the regulator if it hasn't already been done.

No regulator, Return less system, CPU controls fuel pump voltage

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
No regulator, Return less system, CPU controls fuel pump voltage

Is it normal for pressure not to rise as boost rises? As gufi said that is a huge flucuation 2-3psi. That can definitely cause what is happening. I took a couple lbs of fuel pressure out of my previous car while running N20 and guess what happened..........POOF! Blown head gasket and melted sparkplug electrodes right off!

Figure out why the pressure is bouncing around.

boostedmach

Check the ground to the fuel pumps.

Im going to the hobby shop once it opens, Im also checking the pro racer forums to see if my fuel pressure activity is normal, In the datalog cpu is raising the voltage to the pumps to a peak of like 10.5 volts to try and keep up with the injectors...mabey somthing in the fuel pump voltage table.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Im going to the hobby shop once it opens, Im also checking the pro racer forums to see if my fuel pressure activity is normal, In the datalog cpu is raising the voltage to the pumps to a peak of like 10.5 volts to try and keep up with the injectors...mabey somthing in the fuel pump voltage table.

Is that not a tuneable parameter? It can't be normal for fuel pressure to fluctuate that much.

boostedmach

Is that not a tuneable parameter? It can't be normal for fuel pressure to fluctuate that much.

Well Iv been reading some

..."The FRPS (fuel rail pressure sensor) subtracts the boost, or adds the vacuum, from the FP to maintain 40psi across the injectors..."

I dont think its a fuel problem, because the A/F ratio is decent, we are just trying to find out what causing this problem.

Think it might be spark related...soo Im gonna check everything today, Coils (might put stockers in..alot of people have had problems with these WeaponX), Read plugs, check MAF.

I know for sure its not belt slip, nor is it my Bypass valve.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
You do have a regulator. It's in the tank with the fuel pumps. Returnless sytems are designed to run at a "constant pressure" and your's isn't doing that. If I add and take away fuel by 2-3lbs on any car as it's accelerating it is going to do what your car is doing. I don't care if it's carburated!

What you have to do is find out if it's mechanical or electrical causing it. Have you tried tuning with the stock pulley? I still don't think your fuel supply line is big enough. Go to a return style fuel system. Returnless sucks!

Are you sure the rail sensor you spoke of is good? I was reading that if you hit the rev limiter it can wax that sensor.

Sometimes a low pressure or volume problem isn't the fuel pump but a clogged filter, plugged fuel inlet filter sock, "restricted fuel line" or a faulty fuel pressure regulator. A low voltage supply to the fuel pump due to a wiring problem, low charging voltage or bad relay may also prevent the pump from operating at normal speed.

02gt

i'd have to ask, have you data logged the fuel pressure with the x cal yet, run down the street under boost, record the fuel pressure and see what happens...

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
i'd have to ask, have you data logged the fuel pressure with the x cal yet, run down the street under boost, record the fuel pressure and see what happens...

He has logged it and it's jumping around from 38-43lbs. That's 5lbs difference !!!!!!!!!!!!

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Fuel pressure Was data logged, was between 38-43 rail pressure the whole run. Stock Fuel line.

Dante checkd the vacume lines, and harness for any breaks or somthing chewed up.

Tomorrow, Im pulling the Coils, checking plugs, Checking the Maf, Checking Fuel Filter, Going over the car front to back to check everything. Also Think im going to replace the coils with the stockers.

Please explain your method of checking plugs. You mean for detonation?

boostedmach

Please explain your method of checking plugs. You mean for detonation?

Well, I found the problem... #6 Coil is burned up...got so hot it started to melt the epoxy it was encased in...smelt like an electrical fire....plugs look like new...cause they are...brand new Auto Lite Racing

boostedmach

Got a set of good stock coils (thanks cornboy) And now its back to dantes, gonna head there this sat. Needs to finish the tune, and hopefully this has solved my problems.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Good luck with the 5psi fluctuation in fuel pressure. I hope you can get it tuned. I'm frustrated and it's not even my car, lol!

crossbreedgt

huh that must be the same prob that 4.6stangpower has with his 98GT. im gonna let him try my coil packs and see if it works

ears

hay boosted,,, you may not take it from bobby, but let me tell you dude,,, that fluctuation is not good!!!! those return style systems are shi*t!!! call procharger or any one else!!! boosting 101 man!!! that line is way wya too small to give you the fuel you need!!! and the returnless system further hurts you!!! you can run 8-12 lbs half way decently with a returnless system!!! theres no way that youll hit the power you want with that fuel system!!! it just wont hold together man!!!! get rid of the returnless and install a return system!!! its not hard at all!!!! and with that everything is mechanical!! you dont have to wory about how your fuel pump is fluctuating!!! im telling you dude!! youre gonna fry the thing and starve your motor,,,, and that 5 psi fluctuation is a contributor to your problem,,, i guarantee it!!! it may not be the only thing,,, but its definately a problem!!!i wouldnt push it with that set up man!!!! just dont do it!!! id hate to see you destroy everything that youve put so much money into!!!!

boostedmach

hay boosted,,, you may not take it from bobby, but let me tell you dude,,, that fluctuation is not good!!!! those return style systems are shi*t!!! call procharger or any one else!!! boosting 101 man!!! that line is way wya too small to give you the fuel you need!!! and the returnless system further hurts you!!! you can run 8-12 lbs half way decently with a returnless system!!! theres no way that youll hit the power you want with that fuel system!!! it just wont hold together man!!!! get rid of the returnless and install a return system!!! its not hard at all!!!! and with that everything is mechanical!! you dont have to wory about how your fuel pump is fluctuating!!! im telling you dude!! youre gonna fry the thing and starve your motor,,,, and that 5 psi fluctuation is a contributor to your problem,,, i guarantee it!!! it may not be the only thing,,, but its definately a problem!!!i wouldnt push it with that set up man!!!! just dont do it!!! id hate to see you destroy everything that youve put so much money into!!!!

Well will see, first thing is first, taking care of this bad coil, Then I'll start looking at the fuel, The tune is not even done yet, and Its been having problems, so you cant really look at everything on the datalog when the car is missing and breaking up on the dyno.

There ARE limits of a returnless system, and im not there yet. Might end up running a bigger feed line, but im not going return quite yet.

Also, on another note, I think im going to have to dig through my harness because I think I have an electrical problem leading to me screwing up my coils...we will see come Friday and Sat.....Im pretty sure I just screwed up some more coils!:nonono:

ears

you burnt up abother set of coils?? thats not good!!! so what could cause that?? those really dont get exposed to enough power to fry em do they??

boostedmach

you burnt up abother set of coils?? thats not good!!! so what could cause that?? those really dont get exposed to enough power to fry em do they??

Not a set just one, and If there is a ground from the coil driver, i guess anything can happen...gonna take a look at it in depth tomorrow.