• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

part 1: Engine Disassembly

02gt

Today went by fast and off with out a hitch, i didn't even have to make a trip to the parts store because of any tools i was lacking, while you guys were doing the hanky panky at Dante's I was ripping the engine apart, I had previously decided to reuse my timming chains, sprockets, the hydraulic lifters, and cam followers (there's more). From what i was able to see down the Number 3 cylinder i could see some peices missing on the outter sides of the piston, the lower intake and the intake runners on the heads were caked in oil, that means my rings are bad, not to mention the plugs have a greenish color on them, the heads will be fine they just need to be cleaned by whome ever buys them. Right now I have plans to drop off the new short block, heads, lower intake, and cams to Total Performance in Santee to have the engine assymbled and to port match the lower intake. I do have one small problem though, no cam card, so once again my engine will not be dialed in until the card with some numbers on it shows up:toilet:--(This is what it's like), in the mean time i have to start shopping for a valve body and a couple of other tranny accessories, i'm still debating on wether or not to run the car with a transbrake, and i have been quoted about 2500 to rebuild the tranny buy a local dealer, that is out of the question if it's that expencive, really stuck on what im going to do with the tranny, the transbreak will kick ass but i will need to run an overdrive switch and a lock up switch for the street and i haven't been able to find any info on how to wire that stuff up. :wtf: so that is what's scaring me away from putting the t brake in, this swap im hoping to have completed before my son is born so i have about a month and a half to have her tuned, just maybe i will make it for MVTW but no promises(thats probably a good thing for you 4v guys) in the mean time i have a set of 42# injectors and a lightning MAf caled to 42's for sale. I have a tone of pics, but i'm not at home at the moment, i will load them soon as i get home tonight.
PS: huge thanks To lordgufi(brian for coming over and helping me)
102_1278.jpg

102_1282.jpg

102_1285.jpg

102_1287.jpg

102_1291.jpg

102_1292.jpg

102_1294.jpg

102_1295.jpg

look at the bottom lobes, the stock one is left, look at the duration of the new cam compared to the stock PI's
102_1297.jpg

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
You will likely have the cam card by the time you drop off the engine. Personally I would sell that Meth kit and use the cash for something else. Keep checking the corral. I would say, if you are going to run the transmission as is for a while just get yourself a good converter.

02gt

You will likely have the cam card by the time you drop off the engine. Personally I would sell that Meth kit and use the cash for something else. Keep checking the corral. I would say, if you are going to run the transmission as is for a while just get yourself a good converter.

yes i have been thinking about selling it, it just complicates the tuning process and i dont want the pump to crap out on me when im running down the track, so i think i may do that, believe me im not going to short myself on the convertor, im going with the one you recomended, im goiong to order it as soon as i get the taxes back from the fed's, should be next week or so.

M

Mustangcwo

Nice work, keep the pics coming. I repaired the title for you, but you'll have to edit the rest of it yourself. No worries, this forum is full of Spanglish and various other forms of language that I vaguely recognize.

Keep it up Baby Orange!!!

02gt

102_1300.jpg

102_1301.jpg

102_1299.jpg

102_1302.jpg

Well today was kind of a slow roller day, didn't really have much to do except pull off the meth kit, water pump and a fitting behind the pump that is needed for the coolant transfer to the rear of the motor, removed part of the exhaust and the EGR pipe off the down tube of the h pipe. Just as luck would have it i broke some thing, I had a tough time pulling the water pump and i had to resort to cave man techniques, i pounded on the top of it and broke the bolt housing so i need a new one for the car(or if some one has one lying around). I pulled the meth kit in about an hour and i have every single peice for it ready to sell, im going to mock up the intercooler either tomorrow or in the next two to three days, just depends on my class sked...i cleaned up the timming cover alittle with some degreaser and it didn't work very well, i would love to get it sand blasted and painted black to match the the color scheam, im not sure what to do with the valve covers i have seen people do them in red and they look like crap for the most part so i either want to make them silver or just clean them up and leave em black....

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
If the timing cover is aluminum you don't want to sand blast it. The sand will get embedded in the metal and when it heats up it will find it's way out and into your precious parts.

Hit up Greg when you drop your stuff off. He may charge you extra, but he can bead blast it and paint it for you if you request it.

That degreaser BS has never worked for me either. It always seems to make everything worse. Carb cleaner or brake cleaner is the way to go. Wal-mart sells it for like $.097 a can.

Tommy

Try ORANGE LIGHTNING BLAST degreaser/cleaner. I buy it in 1 gallon sizes at Walmart for abour $4.50. That stuff has worked better than anything I've ever used.

AutoZone also has it but cost about the same for a 16oz bottle.

02gt

So far i have the the meth kit, the maf, injectors, and i could be selling my power pipe, meth kit is pending though, i have to get the by pass, Ford gt pumps, and im considering getting a innovative west 10% over drive pulley....and even may convert the belt drive system to 8 ribs....any suggestions????

02gt

will do i kind of took a break today because i had the mid to 0800 last night so i crashed out all morning. Anyways after i got up today i met bobby in santee to go and talk to greg at total perfance, i basicly gave him the list of task to do, he suggested that i run new hydraulic lifters and i was a bit hesitant for a second but he explained that new stiff valve springs along with old hydraulic lifters can hamper the cars performance so i decided to run with new set of lifters. Basiclly he is going to put the heads on check the the some other things of the heads to make sure they're all nice a tiddy. The lower intake is going to be port matched to the heads and the cams will be degreed by him. One thing that suprised me was he said he didn't need the cam card and all he needs to know is where the exhaust center line was....all i was thinking was "wow, this guy really knows his ****..." i only know that because they have the fastest car at barona so they must know what they're doing right? Well anyways im going to drop off the short block tomorrow and the rest of the timming gear along with my oil pump. He said turn around time can be this week if i really needed it but for sure early next week before i get the block back from them....