• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mustangs vs. the World II (Recap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
^^^^ That would be a cluster......too many people there to organize it well. the kids would not want to wait to run in the right class and stuff......I might be wrong....

There are more people there that will probably join in though.

Gib

Race legal used to run competition exclusively with eliminations and such. They have a ton of room for pre-staging and yes, there would be way more people!

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Point is to work out bugs at race legal and then graduate to Barona. Who gives a chit if race legal gets mad,lol

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Good point Bobby.....

We should try to get an old airstrip to use....LOL Tht way we could run it how ever we want.......

ears

personaly i dont care i just wanna get on the track and have a good time!!! i mean thats what its about right!!!

M

Mustangcwo

I was there and it went really smooth except for the staging problem created by the track people. Yes, one persone was upset and he was staging the cars and the track officials did not talk to one another. This kind of stuff happens every night that Barona runs. I spoke with Jay just before I left and he was happy with the way things went and was ready to discuss another meeting to make it go smoother next time.

I believe people were bored, because true street is rather boring. I'll race open comp next time and take my chances in the brackets. I believe if you applied the same true street rules but ran it on a bracket tree, it would be more exciting. I can test and tune all day and average my times. Racing on a staggered tree is much more exciting...at least to me. Congrats to Ethan for making it to the semi-finals in the open comp bracket. Remove the electronics....and he might have won the entire thing.

Anyways, the event went well and I'm glad Emilio is running the next one. I just want to go and race.

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
Howdy y'all, I was the guy in true street drivin the old black Fairlane.

First, yes I was tired, frustrated and bored overall by the event...BUT!
In the end as far as I could tell, it worked out, its good y'all are havin this thread to discuss but also just remember this was your first event here (I think) and there are always gonna be lots of querks to work out.

I've participated in many club events like these and seen the same thing happen to every single club. So don't get mad at anyone or yourselves and just take this as a learning experience for next time!

Just my .02

Ya got to remember, the racer is there to drive.

There are times you are going to bored stiff waiting to run. Maybe we need to talk to Barona about calling the cars out of the pits and into the staging lanes when they are ready for us instead of the cars lining up and sitting for a couple of hours in the staging lanes.

IgottaV8

Wickedstangs Road Racing Team
Staff member
Board Member
I had a great time, and I believe that Rae-Legal is a great Idea, if they could have it prepped as well as they did when I did an 8.7 run there, I don't think that we would have any problems. I did notice that the gentleman in the classic mustang who won the open-comp class, was also running gambler grudge, and I don't feel comfortable with that just in the fact that it, makes things extremely confusing.

Oh, I also found a US flag style chair, another chair, and a packed up tent. So just PM me if they are yours.

spdpilot

Well....I think alot of things about what happened, but most importantly is that we move forward not have what occured cause issues in the club overall.....this was a POSITIVE event for WS and I think we need to look to the future and not let some things happen again in the future.

To be honest, I knew a while back about a few things were going to cause issues.

1) The Rules; Car guys are pretty simple people and I know you got to sound professional when put these things down on paper. But seriously, some the main points that racers needed to know where not clear. To be honest, I gave up trying to figure them out and asked when I got to the track. And when I started asking at the track, I got MANY completely different answers. In the future I recommend "official" rules and then version written in "average" joe language. What was most confusing was....HOW TO WIN and how many runs were needed to get there.

2) Barona as the Event Track; Although I like the people at Barona, lets face it, not many people will drive up into the mountains to race. I knew it was going to kill participation. As I have suggested before, we might want to consider Auto Club Speedway. We NEED people from LA to get involved to have more brands there. I am completely against having it at the Q. The track is terrible and unless we pay someone to come out and prep it, it would be bad. If we could do that, I think it might be ok. Or possibly rent the track for a Saturday event?? In the end, I just don't think Barona is going to bring the participation we might be looking for. And this has nothing to do with them, just it's location.

I also think having the event morning to afternoon is much better then night. Everyone was too tired to care almost when it was trophy time.

As to the smoothness of the event. As a racer, my biggest flustration was the confusion in the staging area. After my second run, I was told to go back to the pits and I was officially out of the race.

Plus, I noticed so much confusion at points that the track was not running and by the time it was figured out, we could have run ALL of lane 5. This happened more then once.

Overall, as a racer in the event, I think it was a lot of fun, but to much work trying to get answers on what to do.

I think we could have done so much more with the event on the cheap for promotion. But thats just my opinion. I think there are like 4-5 of us that are really into racing and the rest just wanted to enjoy the event. So when dicussions came up about the event, I didn't feel like there was much club interest and kind of stepped back. Because for an event like this to really work, it takes a big commitment as a club, not just a few people.I know you all worked really hard at the track and I want to say "THANKS" for doing it for us.

As a Club, I think we need to step back and ask everyone if they REALLY want to do this again. If not, then we should move on to more productive things

Ford1288

Donator
Im proud just to be able to say that i am involved with a very active mustang club who has great members. Its just a plus that we go out and try to do events like this. Not many clubs do this. It really says something about WS. And I really hope this doesnt deter us from future events. Of course I wasnt there (on deployment) but it sounds like only a little more time and effort was needed to make this alot more enjoyable for everyone. So like people have already said lets move forward and take the positives from this, and next time it will be that much better.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Im proud just to be able to say that i am involved with a very active mustang club who has great members. Its just a plus that we go out and try to do events like this. Not many clubs do this. It really says something about WS. And I really hope this doesnt deter us from future events. Of course I wasnt there (on deployment) but it sounds like only a little more time and effort was needed to make this alot more enjoyable for everyone. So like people have already said lets move forward and take the positives from this, and next time it will be that much better.

Oh we will have more events trust me.. We are working on a big one now...

fastsleeper

Why ya treat me like that?
Barona

Well....I think alot of things about what happened, but most importantly is that we move forward not have what occured cause issues in the club overall.....this was a POSITIVE event for WS and I think we need to look to the future and not let some things happen again in the future.

To be honest, I knew a while back about a few things were going to cause issues.

1) The Rules; Car guys are pretty simple people and I know you got to sound professional when put these things down on paper. But seriously, some the main points that racers needed to know where not clear. To be honest, I gave up trying to figure them out and asked when I got to the track. And when I started asking at the track, I got MANY completely different answers. In the future I recommend "official" rules and then version written in "average" joe language. What was most confusing was....HOW TO WIN and how many runs were needed to get there.

2) Barona as the Event Track; Although I like the people at Barona, lets face it, not many people will drive up into the mountains to race. I knew it was going to kill participation. As I have suggested before, we might want to consider Auto Club Speedway. We NEED people from LA to get involved to have more brands there. I am completely against having it at the Q. The track is terrible and unless we pay someone to come out and prep it, it would be bad. If we could do that, I think it might be ok. Or possibly rent the track for a Saturday event?? In the end, I just don't think Barona is going to bring the participation we might be looking for. And this has nothing to do with them, just it's location.

I also think having the event morning to afternoon is much better then night. Everyone was too tired to care almost when it was trophy time.

As to the smoothness of the event. As a racer, my biggest flustration was the confusion in the staging area. After my second run, I was told to go back to the pits and I was officially out of the race.

Plus, I noticed so much confusion at points that the track was not running and by the time it was figured out, we could have run ALL of lane 5. This happened more then once.

Overall, as a racer in the event, I think it was a lot of fun, but to much work trying to get answers on what to do.

I think we could have done so much more with the event on the cheap for promotion. But thats just my opinion. I think there are like 4-5 of us that are really into racing and the rest just wanted to enjoy the event. So when dicussions came up about the event, I didn't feel like there was much club interest and kind of stepped back. Because for an event like this to really work, it takes a big commitment as a club, not just a few people.I know you all worked really hard at the track and I want to say "THANKS" for doing it for us.

As a Club, I think we need to step back and ask everyone if they REALLY want to do this again. If not, then we should move on to more productive things

Hi Everyone!
Sorry, I did not read everyone's post but just from Emilio's post and this one, SDP, I thought I'd add my penny's thought. I was not in attendance so I cannot comment on what all went on. Although, I have been in a participant in other sporting events, and even professional situations with the same difficulties, therefore I do know the frustration and disappointment of miscommunication and the resulting mayhem.

I did not attend the event due to the fact the racing took place at night.
Some of you know I am navigationally challenged and scared of the night time driving boogie monster, so for me to drive home at such a late hour is not comfortable nor recommended for me.

Personally, I love WSClub even with all the warts and ego's flyin' around. I would love to see WS become a Race Club as well as a social club. I am obsessed with cars and racing and I look forward to the time when I have learned how to race properly so as not to injure myself or anyone else. :)
OR my STANG.

I noticed the mention of some having hangovers. tsk tsk Nothing wrong with a hangover if that is what one chooses to have BUT when involved in an event where large, powerful, fast cars and (egos), combustible chemicals, and all manner of racing skill levels and other possible injurious situations are involved, I think the hangovers should best be left until AFTER the event has been completed. If you are just watching the goings on and have a hangover, just try not to fall off the bleachers or get squished by the traffic be it vehicles or humans.

Again, although I was not present, I do hope this will not deter the club from becoming involved in or organising another event. When you haven't done something on this level before, you can't know what you don't know so don't be so hard on yourselves. Just make the notes and do it better next time. Besides..... You are not allowed to stop organising and racing until I can kick y'all's butt on the track. HA! Prepare to be smoked!

If you don't like my "penny's worth" you can buy me a present.:star:

atlblue98gt

Greer, SC
Ya got to remember, the racer is there to drive.

There are times you are going to bored stiff waiting to run. Maybe we need to talk to Barona about calling the cars out of the pits and into the staging lanes when they are ready for us instead of the cars lining up and sitting for a couple of hours in the staging lanes.

good idea

here.s something we did. We did all the races early and did true street and some gambler races. And the club got to volunteer. At the end of the day with about 2 hrs left, we let those that volunteered and only those invovled in the club race. Kinda like exhibition races. And call outs within the club. And we let the annoucer call everyone to the staging lanes as not to let in back up.We had official shirts for all the volunteers that were the same color and said event staff. (i dont know if yall did that, bc i wasnt there, LOL)
we had a car show too and had judging by penny votes. anothe way to raise money.

Hopefully we can plan a big track day here on the east coast.

KillerBee

race legal would be a good place to start. the track may be bad for some of us but haveing this event at race legal would allow us to work out the bugs. as for the location if we want to get some local interest for this event race legal would be the best place to start. i agree with orange start small and bulid up to something more serious.

spdpilot

Oh we will have more events trust me.. We are working on a big one now...

I don't mean to be rude or out of line, but is it just a managment decision? Will the club vote on doing something like this again??

I saw your flustration the other night and rightfully so, but from my perspective, the "club" collectively wasn't into doing this event. Maybe you, I, and a few others wanted it. I mean certainly everyone was into the racing, but I am talking about putting ON the event. We can all go racing anytime together.

What goal does the club have in mind for the event?

Lordgufi

i sort of felt the same way spdpilot was explaining it. alot of people were taking part in the event and probably didn't feel obligated to enforce it.

While i do understand we were trying to get some competition out there to play with and all it felt lack luster and as if we just ended racing in reserved lanes.

1 no one knew there was money at stake
2 not many knew how classes were going to be divided up
3 many people knew that the event was happening but some how we didn't hit the right venue to get more people to hit the event. ( suggestion : post flyers/banners at shops that will allow it )

Status
Not open for further replies.