• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mustangs vs. the World II (Recap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastsleeper

Why ya treat me like that?
I don't mean to be rude or out of line, but is it just a managment decision? Will the club vote on doing something like this again??

I saw your flustration the other night and rightfully so, but from my perspective, the "club" collectively wasn't into doing this event. Maybe you, I, and a few others wanted it. I mean certainly everyone was into the racing, but I am talking about putting ON the event. We can all go racing anytime together.

What goal does the club have in mind for the event?

Good comments SD but I don't recall seeing any description of what goes into putting ON an event. I was under the impression that Barona was putting ON the event and we were just one of the groups of the participating. I can't provide any help and neither can others if we don't know the wherewithal's.

No disrespect SD, but you seem to be cordoning yourself and a few others into a select few that really WANT to put ON an event. I am always willing to help if I know what help is needed and I can provide that help. I am certain I am not the only person without a clue or direction as to what is needed. Again, it always boils down to timely requests, information, and organisation.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
No, this was put together by us. This has been in preparation since May and have been posted on here since then, too. We have asked for help and for volunteers since the beginning. But only a few have responded to help with putting it together.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Good comments SD but I don't recall seeing any description of what goes into putting ON an event. I was under the impression that Barona was putting ON the event and we were just one of the groups of the participating. I can't provide any help and neither can others if we don't know the wherewithal's.

No disrespect SD, but you seem to be cordoning yourself and a few others into a select few that really WANT to put ON an event. I am always willing to help if I know what help is needed and I can provide that help. I am certain I am not the only person without a clue or direction as to what is needed. Again, it always boils down to timely requests, information, and organisation.

No, this was put together by us. This has been in preparation since May and have been posted on here since then, too. We have asked for help and for volunteers since the beginning. But only a few have responded to help with putting it together

M

Mustangcwo

Let's go racing boys. I dont care where we go...as long as we GO!!!

spdpilot

No one involved with the event is posting here. What is the deal? Are you guys just looking for feedback before you comment?

Everyone knows you worked hard on the event. I think we are just trying to let you know what we think, not hurt feelings.

So lets have it. If we can't get more then a dozen members to post their comments on the event.....then I think that pretty much underlines the core problem.

Lordgufi

the original prep was all there but there wasn't much follow through for the minor details in the end. it ended up being sort of on the fly. i think our honest big issue was lack of implementation and enforcement of a few rules and general things.

much of the issue wasn't large problems it was many small ones that all ended up hapening at the end. easily overcomable imo

spdpilot

Nope, Barona was just a means to an end. They gave us free run of the place, but we didn't take advantage of it. They said we could put banners where ever we wanted. Should have put a banner right across the tower. Put cars on display and lit the place up.

I think you made a great point. Communication is key.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
I don't mean to be rude or out of line, but is it just a managment decision? Will the club vote on doing something like this again??

I saw your flustration the other night and rightfully so, but from my perspective, the "club" collectively wasn't into doing this event. Maybe you, I, and a few others wanted it. I mean certainly everyone was into the racing, but I am talking about putting ON the event. We can all go racing anytime together.

What goal does the club have in mind for the event?

Spdpilot what happen is we had the volunteers but, they were only following the generic rules we laid out.. There were many volunteers asking what do I do. And I myself only gave them answers as we will wing it. But, the guys that really knew what was going on were racing. Next time I will be there with the volunteers and be the central point of contact. There is no management decision done yet. We will still continue to have the Mustang vs the World. Except, it will be very different next time.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Good job Presidente taking responsibility for any mistakes. I am sure the next event will be great again.

Gib

blackstallion06

Everrett Wa. Soon to be St. Louis MO.
Donator
I wasnt there but I agree with orange. I think we should try to put on smaller events with the club. I am sure if we can get "Q" prepped right it would be a fun event for the street racers ect that go down there. After we did a couple events we would have good turn outs and would help prepare for things to come up for the big event at barona later on down the line. "Q" also has two tracks remember so if we could get one track for our event to ourselves it would go alot faster. We could just ask for on own staging lanes and our own track. We could have our guys line the cars up all the way to letting them know when to do the burn outs ect. I think it would get the name out alot more if we all tried to get on board with race legal more as well. Just my two cents. I am sure JIM or what ever his name is would come down and prep the track for us

spdpilot

Spdpilot what happen is we had the volunteers but, they were only following the generic rules we laid out.. There were many volunteers asking what do I do. And I myself only gave them answers as we will wing it. But, the guys that really knew what was going on were racing. Next time I will be there with the volunteers and be the central point of contact. There is no management decision done yet. We will still continue to have the Mustang vs the World. Except, it will be very different next time.

You are too nice! You are taking responsibility for not taking control of the situation and I don't think you should. I am not blaming the volunteers by any means. They just worked with what they were told. I am not sure I even know who "the guys that really knew" were. But the volunteers are adults who can think for themselves and if givin the right information are prefectly capable of handling the event without supervision by you. No offense. I just don't think that is the answer. I think better communication is the answer.

I just hope you will include all the club on what final decisions "will" be made. Not that of just a few (including me) who have strong opinions.

I have had some time to think about what happened over the past couple days. My opinion has changed some. I will post my suggestion for the next event in a new thread for opinions from the members.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
The problem started with Don moving the cars without telling Jimmy (the staging lane director). He was confused by what happens. I spoke to Jimmy afterward and he basically said, do not listen to Don because he is known to foul things up. If in the future in any events and Don tell us to do anything, let him (Jimmy) know and he'll take care of it. I know this comes a bit late, but truely, the key point in the staging area is Jimmy and if the communication is open with him, he can solve many of the problems we have that night. By the time anyone tried communicating with him, it was already jacked up, he was confused and frustrated, like many were and that pretty much became an avalanche of frustration and screw up.
As for the volunteers, they did one helluva job staging and getting every one situated and moving. There is not very much else we can ask from them. They are limited in what they can do with the information they have and the resource they were provided. They were out there for long hours and they needed to be appreciated for their sacrifices for helping to make this event go.
The thing we need to remember for any future events is who is the key person for the track (not necessary the owner or operator). The owner and operator will allow for the event to happen, but its the people who runs the show that makes it run smoothly.
Lessons learned, this is our second time doing this. We have improved in some areas, but still learning in putting together an event of this magnitude. In the future, I believe a member posted earlier, is to get those volunteers out to the track and observe how staging is done. If possible, get permission from the track to do some dry runs on staging cars (stage the club cars during T &T). Go over the rules and responsibilities before the event so everyone will be familiar with what to do. Prepare for any possibility that may occur (we should know what they are given what we encounter the last two events) and what to do in those situation.
Make it a day event.

I think the key to all this is communications, not just amongst ourselves, but the track people.

Tommy

for the next event, we should have a "dry run" where we stage cars before any racing even begins.

A complete role play should benefit everyone involved. Perhaps an hour before the track opens on any given day, all volunteers can meet and go through the whole process as if it were playing out in front of them.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Ooooooh To practice staging we could use emilios powerwheels mustangs and my F150 and Jeep Wrangler ones, Ethan's Tricycle, and CWO's Rascal scooter.....LOL

Gib

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
All next time the volunteers will be at the booth taking registration and inputing them in the computer and a cashier with change.

2 people in the Return Lane with radio's to contact the Racer Booth and find out who won in the bracket racing. Maybe a table and names and paper so they can keep track aswell.

Volunteers in the Staging Lanes making sure no one is leaving there cars unattended and no tracffic Jams.

Shirts for the event are completed and professional done.

More contact of the Northern folks cause San Diego peeps are scared to run what they brung...

We will have a runner to run to different locations incase stuff is not heard on the radios...

Trust me the next event will go without issues.. I am going to make sure of it...

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
All next time the volunteers will be at the booth taking registration and inputing them in the computer and a cashier with change.

2 people in the Return Lane with radio's to contact the Racer Booth and find out who won in the bracket racing. Maybe a table and names and paper so they can keep track aswell.

Volunteers in the Staging Lanes making sure no one is leaving there cars unattended and no tracffic Jams.

Shirts for the event are completed and professional done.

More contact of the Northern folks cause San Diego peeps are scared to run what they brung...

We will have a runner to run to different locations incase stuff is not heard on the radios...

Trust me the next event will go without issues.. I am going to make sure of it...

Issue:

I want to help, so does Gibs and Hers.

We all have experience from Number 1, tell us when you want to run another RACE and let us make sure we can be there by checking our schedules.

If one or two racers can't be there, I am sorry, a RACE going off smooth is better than a RACE being done without the experienced people there.

I will never race Barona or Racelegal because of personal reasons. I will help set up a RACE at either if asked. Paul offered people from JR Drag Racing that had set up theirs, did anyone ask for their help?

There is so much talent that has not been tapped into as far as putting on an RACE!!

I Cap'd RACE for a reason, this is not a Car Show! This is cars on the track.

Let's get a good show at Barona and then think about moving north to a 1/4 mile.

I said this after the first one and I will say it again!!!

It is the drivers responsibility to be with the car! Keep the cars in the pits, have them called to the staging lanes 30 minutes prior to running. Radios in the pits/tower and the TOWER announcing cures this. They have loud speakers in the pit area.

Did the Funny Cars sit in the staging lanes for an hour waiting to run? I bet not!!

This is not hard people!! It takes talking to the drivers and the track to get this right.

EDIT

We got the Prez saying its his fault, Gibs saying he should have been there, my ego got into my face, I bailed for awhile and offered no input.

We as WS need to figure out who is going to RACE and who is going to run it. Racers know how to run a RACE, which ones are willing to run it and not RACE?

yosemiddysam

Donator
Im gonna wanna Race!!!!!! I will throw that out there. Not that I cant or wont help out but I have missed the last 6+months of racing lol.

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
Im gonna wanna Race!!!!!! I will throw that out there. Not that I cant or wont help out but I have missed the last 6+months of racing lol.

That's cool!!

We need a few RACERS to give up a weekend to make it go smooth.

If WickedStangs is going to put on a RACE, we need to make sure it goes smoooooooooth!!

It's our name on the line!

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?

Hers worked Food Service for years, she can help cashier, she a pushy woman and you know that Emilio!!!

We also have two laptops in the apt that are not being used to help out with registration.

Status
Not open for further replies.