• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

part 1: Engine Disassembly

02gt

102_1348.jpg

102_1349.jpg

summit coming through again

M

Mustangcwo

Eric, is that the tranny cooler with the fan attached...very sexy. Dont screw up the mounting like I did on the race car. The nipples, where the hoses connect, need to face upward. That ensures the cooler fills and uses all of the capacity.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Eric, is that the tranny cooler with the fan attached...very sexy. Dont screw up the mounting like I did on the race car. The nipples, where the hoses connect, need to face upward. That ensures the cooler fills and uses all of the capacity.

If the fluid goes in one and out the other how would it not fill up?

M

Mustangcwo

If the fluid goes in one and out the other how would it not fill up?

The oil flows from left to right/right to left from one side of the cooler to the other. When the oil ports to the cooler it fills the lower passages first and then flows across. If the nipples are at the top, it will fill the lower passages first and work upwards. If the nipples are at the bottom, it can flow from nipple to nipple without filling the entire header.

I guess it depends if it is a plate and fin or a single pipe. With a single pipe, it would not matter.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
I spoke with Mike from Mike's transmissions today because my mind was still racing about the JBA explanation on the cooler mounting. When I told him that a local shop said that the fittings must point up so it would fill the cooler he laughed and said "The cooler doesn't care if it's on the stinking roof!" He said that the forward line is the pressure side and it will be pumping about 80psi. He said it will fill the cooler no matter what position it's mounted in. He has been building badass transmission for the past 27yrs. Just about every serious racer in the L.A. county area uses him.

Once again BAD and FALSE information coming from the same shop. :nonono:

M

Mustangcwo

I was thinking that the performance of the cooler should not matter because of postitioning due to pressure, but I did not know if the system had high enough pressure. At 80psi, even a plate and fin cooler would fill complete to the top no matter what position. The plates are small enough to restrict the flow and allow the header to fill to the top. Oh well, it is what it is. Can anyone find a speed shop that knows what they are talking about or do I have to call an expert on every aspect of every car I own. GEESH, I wish my level of expertise for my profession had such low standards.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
I was thinking that the performance of the cooler should not matter because of postitioning due to pressure, but I did not know if the system had high enough pressure. At 80psi, even a plate and fin cooler would fill complete to the top no matter what position. The plates are small enough to restrict the flow and allow the header to fill to the top. Oh well, it is what it is. Can anyone find a speed shop that knows what they are talking about or do I have to call an expert on every aspect of every car I own. GEESH, I wish my level of expertise for my profession had such low standards.

What I took from it is that you were right in the way you had it mounted and it was working just fine!