• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

engine build questions

DSGimportslayer

DSG in the hisouse!
Staff member
i agree with sinful except for the aluminum flywheel. id go with something that can be recut and reused. the aluminum one is only 11 lbs but they are riveted together, id go with a one piece chromoly one.

maverick169v

WS Posting God
and as for daddy looking over your shoulder....i dont have that problem. nobody tells me what to, they trust me to get it done right.

well being a few months out from sgt and ncoic of c/c i dont get told a lot of **** either, work wise. but its the other bull****. wait til your the cpl or sgt standing next to some pfc or lcpl in front of the sgtmaj telling him why your guy did some dumb ****. just the rules they have to set to babysit the morons. the motorcycle crap, the liberty crap, where you can and cant go, what you can and cant do. you got rearended call the sdo, call your gunny, call your ssgt. im too old to be sucking a nipple. lol. not to mention this time next year i will be making more than my gysgt. listen to me, i sound like i hate the corps.lol. it aint that bad man, just some people live it, some use it as a stepping stone.

not to hi jack your thread on a rant.

i did see a bad asss twin turbo 331 on pinks. dude, build a rock solid 306 and boost it to the moon. if your running boost, let the boost do the work. you dont really need the displacement.

maverick169v

WS Posting God
before you get head over heels man, i would keep it simple. whatever your original parts total is, add like 20% in nuts, bolts, lines, this, and that. my kenne bell was originally 4200 bucks. shipped with flip chip it was 5100 after taxes. then the cold air kit, the tune, the tuner, buying a water pump pulley and balancer, ended up spending over 6k. that was just a blower. keep it simple so you can plan for the unexpected. shoot for like mid 400s man thats the closest you can flirt with a fast daily driver much past that is just spending more cash .

EnragedRobot

Damn dude so much hate. I will agree with you Grunt life does suck. So much BS. Just go over to Recon and all the BS goes away. Plus you get a fat bonus if you re-up, which the gov. put a cap on so you never get the full amount.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
Sinful said:
S-trim V2 with a nice bypass valve and power pipe with a 10 rib pulley setup
Holley system II intake
50lb injectors
Edelbrock RPM heads or AFR 185s
Custom blower cam (with the right valve head springs for the cam)
302 stock shortblock (if yours is still healthy)
Good balancer, aluminum sfi flywheel, custom clutch or centerforce dual friction with a king cobra pressure plate.
T56 transmission

o know i dont want to use my block, even if it is healthy, its not strong enough, and i want to keep my GT40 intake and port it.

maverick169v

WS Posting God
im thinking your could do it even cheaper than that man. i would just leave a comfortable buffer. i actually think i work with a guy selling a dss 347 shortblock thats less than a year old. his car got robbed at the hobby shop. someone stole the intake, heads, etc.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
its gonna be hard, becuse excluding the engine and driveline, the suspension and brakes and tires add up to like 8 grand. hopefully WSPS gets me a better deal

maverick169v

WS Posting God
yeah he spent like 7500 on the longblock, intake, carb, headers, etc. all he has left is one cylinder head and the shortblock. unreal man. at teh base hobby shop none the less.

90stripes

this is what you should do with your old motor once you get the new one built...

haha. make a table out if it

02gt

BJ, I dont know if you read muscle mustangs and fast fords, but i find a lot of articles about budget fox body bulids, they had a stock engine with a turbo that had more then 200,000 miles on it and they made about 600 HP with just new head gaskets, they ran it up to about 16 PSI, so maybe you might want consider that, i'm not sure if your yeah came with forged internals but i know some of the later years did. I have ton of the mags so if you want to take a look i can give you some of magizines.

Sinful

02gt said:
BJ, I dont know if you read muscle mustangs and fast fords, but i find a lot of articles about budget fox body bulids, they had a stock engine with a turbo that had more then 200,000 miles on it and they made about 600 HP with just new head gaskets, they ran it up to about 16 PSI, so maybe you might want consider that, i'm not sure if your yeah came with forged internals but i know some of the later years did. I have ton of the mags so if you want to take a look i can give you some of magizines.

those are my goals with the notch back :)

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
02gt said:

my block does have forged internals, but i am afraid to risk it. i know the internals are good, but the block might not handle it for long. im sure its possible, but the longevity and reliability worries me.

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
that is a bad ass table!

BJ save money now while looking at every option and company possible and compile a list of prices then you have to start looking at installation shops

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
I think an R block is pointless for a daily driver. That's $2000 that you can spend elswhere. My car with stock block (477HP) lasted a long time as a daily driver.

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
yeah some ppl get lucky with certain set up plus ppl like different set ups then others.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
well, im not saving yet. im paying stuff off, so i can save on deployment. that money coupled with a personala loan is gonna get me where i need to be. the r block may be too much, but what about the boss block. that sounds strong enough for what i need