• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

cosmetic surgery

fastsleeper

Why ya treat me like that?
You have a very good point. Perhaps I should buy another to play with and the other to keep as is. Just a matter of time = money. But, nothing is impossible.

fastsleeper

Thank you for your response. Yes, I do believe they can do this. They have promised me that they will only do changes IF they are confident of the method as they do back up all work they provide. I am very happy with their interest in my modifications and their commitment to provide the very most perfect changes. They have treated me very kindly and with respect. My experience from others has not been in my favor.
LaTiDa...I will find, with the kind help from all of you, what I need.
Thanks a bunch!

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
You can get a 06 GT for under 20K right now. That is loaded out.

I mean they only made 7700 of the Bullitts, and that is half black and half green.....so yours is one of 3600 at most. but I would be willing to bet you can get it down to about 1 of several hundred....as they split the run of the 7700 over 2 model years. That means there were more 08 Bullitts but there were not 7700 08 Bullitts, more like 5K in 08 and 2700 in 09....

Gib

fastsleeper

About the shaving...They are working on a completely flawless door that will open remote. Same for gas cap door. No evidence of a way in. HA! I like that. Smooooooth.
No extra anythings on My Baby. Just clear, clean lines, nice nasty sound, fassssst.
(I know. Not as fast as others but nice for me)
Thanks! It is very nice to chat with everyone.
fs

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
fastsleeper said:
Moose Dear,
I'm wondering....I have thought about the "patching the hole" thing. What compound or substance, other than lead, would not shrink over time? Thus far, I have not found anyone who will do the hole patching for their own various reasons. The repair MUST be perfect and perfectly undetectable. Then we have the matching the paint issue. What do you think?
fastsleeper who will soon be fast asleep

they wouldnt parch the hole with a compound. they would cut a circle of sheetmetal the same size as the hole and weld it in so its all metal. then they would grind it down and apply filler. sand that smooth and paint over that. the same should be done with the shaved door handles. weld metal over the gap. never try to fill in an area that big with filler. it will crack and your paint will be ruined

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
BJ there should be little to no filler at all. None is best, cause it can still crack in hot and cold environments and such. Have them use "ALL METAL" from Eastwood products if they need to use filler at all.

Gib

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
well, filler is used so it can be sanded down to a smooth finish. there should only be a thin coat...like paper thin.

fastsleeper

GT400SC said:
Sounds like SOMEONE has a big wad of cash to spend!

Shaving a door handle or antenna hole is easy. But it means a repaint!

None of this you ask for is cheap.

I like your ambition. I like your wallet better! LOL
Hello GT400SC
Thank you for your note.
I dare say, and I do dare say, you are the not "oldest fart here". That is as relative as my bank account compared to the cost of the modifications I desire. 50 indicates you have had more experience which counts for quite a lot. :)
When I decide I want something I just work at it until I get it. Cost is all relative. I can't do everything at once but I WILL have my way.
fs

fastsleeper

beejay31000 said:
well, filler is used so it can be sanded down to a smooth finish. there should only be a thin coat...like paper thin.

AHHHH...What filler would we be using? And what material will we use to support the filler?
fs

GT400SC

PM for Decals
"I can't do everything at once but I WILL have my way."

As well you should! It would not be worth doing if not done to your specifications, to your liking and exactly as you ordered. At that point, cost becomes moot.

Speed, quality and cost. Pick any two and the third will suffer.

If you want it NOW and you want it cheap, the quality will suffer.
If you want it NOW and perfect, you will pay a hefty price.
If you say take your time and do it right, it will not have a rush price on it.

......and so on.

Have it your way and have it done right or you will forever regret it. Better to have paid a little more and done it right the first time than to have skimped and have to re-do it.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction and wise enough to know there is NO RUSH, except at the dragstrip!

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Well they should be welding in a patch leaving a .030 gap(I think) in order to have a butt weld. Then a really good shop will use little to no filler to accomplish a smooth surface. I have seen classics that were redone using ZERO filler to patch with and they were awesome. If they use a filler on it, they need to use something that will not react to changes in weather......hot or cold. Regular bondo will expand and contract..... That will not work, as the paint will crack and look like crap. If they want to just use filler on the holes and no metal patch welded in before it.....take your business elsewhere. It may look good initially but even a hard bump could force that filler to fall out.

fastsleeper

cosmetics to laughingGT

Dear LaughingGT
Didn't say I didn't have the money. I just don't know how much I need and if I don't have enough, I will get it. I am a very determined, stubborn girl.

fastsleeper

cosmetics

Gibs07GTcpe said:
Well they should be welding in a patch leaving a .030 gap(I think) in order to have a butt weld. Then a really good shop will use little to no filler to accomplish a smooth surface. I have seen classics that were redone using ZERO filler to patch with and they were awesome. If they use a filler on it, they need to use something that will not react to changes in weather......hot or cold. Regular bondo will expand and contract..... That will not work, as the paint will crack and look like crap. If they want to just use filler on the holes and no metal patch welded in before it.....take your business elsewhere. It may look good initially but even a hard bump could force that filler to fall out.

YES. Exactly. Thank you for validating my argument with the car dealer guys.
fs

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Quality work is not cheap. With restorations I have seen people spend 15K just on the metalwork, then another 7-10K on paint. But it is perfect when done and brings home awards everytime at the shows. Not saying that the most expensive is the best either, I know alot of "Good Ole Boys" that will out perform the most expensive shops for next to nothing........

Gib

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
fastsleeper said:
AHHHH...What filler would we be using? And what material will we use to support the filler?
fs

any kind of filler. more commonly known as bondo. its important to know that bondo is not "bad". the amount you use is bad. whenever body repairs are made they use filler, so it can be sanded to a baby butt smooth finish. it will help fin in the grinder marks from when they grind off the welds. i also know of lead filler, but that is really expensive and requires someone very skilled in doing it. not too many people around are.

feel free to chime in any time GT400 if you feel i am giving bad advice....knowing you and your painting expertice i know youve gotta have something to say about this

i can talk to the shop that is doing the repairs on my denali and see how they feel about the antenna shaving and door handle shaving if you want

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Also, ask the shop for examples of the process they are going to use to do yours.....if it looks like crap on someone elses.....well you get the idea. If it looks good, look at another example of the same guys work. If you like it, request that bodyman only to do yours........

Gib

fastsleeper

GT400SC said:
"I can't do everything at once but I WILL have my way."

As well you should! It would not be worth doing if not done to your specifications, to your liking and exactly as you ordered. At that point, cost becomes moot.

Speed, quality and cost. Pick any two and the third will suffer.

If you want it NOW and you want it cheap, the quality will suffer.
If you want it NOW and perfect, you will pay a hefty price.
If you say take your time and do it right, it will not have a rush price on it.

......and so on.

Have it your way and have it done right or you will forever regret it. Better to have paid a little more and done it right the first time than to have skimped and have to re-do it.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction and wise enough to know there is NO RUSH, except at the dragstrip!

Not cheap and not easy. Not if it is worth doing / having. Patience.
I do very much wish to learn to drive / drag strip properly. I Don't know how to properly take advantage of all SHE has to offer. Want to take a driving/racing course. LOVE to drive reeeeaaaaalllllly reallllllllly fast.
fs

GT400SC

PM for Decals
Bondo.............

The ONLY thing I use it for is pinholes in fiberglass parts and gelcoat.

A GREAT body shop and paint shop that you have been recommended to will probably SHOCK you when they give you a price for what you want. They will probably tell you it will be weeks or months befoer they can even begin to get to your car they are so backed up or in demand.

I know an airbrush artist does murals on cars and vans. Does 2, maybe 3 a year! He is in demand and he takes his time and gives the customer his best work every time.

THAT is the kind of vendor you need if you seriously want top notch work.